As a home baker mom (pun intended), I enjoy baking cakes for special occasions. Every birthday of each family member calls for a baking session and a level of decorating that reminds my husband of Nailed It!
While I enjoy making each cake, I admit that there’s always leftover cake at every party. I have yet to see a gathering where there’s no leftover cake.
We’re not really into big parties so we only invite family and a few friends. So it could be that the cake is too big or not everyone is into cakes or some people don’t like the flavor of cake I made.
Although we are a group of sweet tooths, no one of us is particularly fond of leftover cakes. I hate throwing away food, so I took one piece of advice I saw on the Food Network – turn your leftover cake into cake pops.
I never thought about it before, but I think it’s pretty genius. You get to save your leftover cake and make it into something that’s still cake, but won’t look like leftover cake anymore!
All you have to do is incorporate some leftover frosting if you have some or maybe even cream cheese, some melted chocolate and a topping of your choice.
There’s so much you can do to make it more fun and interesting for the kids. You can use sprinkles, nuts, cookie crumbs, chocolate, peanut butter chips, peanut butter drizzle, marshmallows, or anything you think the kids will love.
It’s an easy way to bring new life to old cake 🙂
Plus, all the other ingredients you need could already be in your pantry so there’s no need to make another grocery run for this recipe.
Once you’re finished with your cake pops, it will look like something new to the kids so it’s a win-win for everybody! They have “new” treats while you, on the other hand, won’t have to worry about throwing out any more cake.
- There’s so much you can do with cake pops. Here are some of the topping combinations you may want to try:
- Milk chocolate + rainbow sprinkles
- Milk chocolate + white chocolate shavings
- Milk chocolate + chopped nuts
- Milk chocolate + peanut butter drizzle
- Milk chocolate + white chocolate drizzle
- Milk chocolate + crushed Oreos
- White chocolate + crushed Oreos
- White chocolate + chocolate sprinkles
- White chocolate + dark chocolate shavings
- White chocolate + rainbow sprinkles
- White chocolate + chopped nuts
- White chocolate + milk chocolate drizzle
- While chocolate + dark chocolate drizzle
- Dark chocolate + white chocolate shavings
- Dark chocolate + chopped nuts
- Dark chocolate + peanut butter drizzle
- Dark chocolate + rainbow sprinkles
- Dark chocolate + white chocolate drizzle
- Freeze or refrigerate leftover cake pops.