- 1 ½ cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Kitchen tools you’ll need:
- Heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Greased baking sheet
- Prepare all the ingredients before starting with anything. I find this very important because every second counts in making the caramel. It’s very easy to mess the hot sugar up, so you got to have everything in handy and ready for the next process to ensure you don’t burn your mixture. This means all ingredients should already be measured and placed in bowls near you. The baking sheet should already be greased as well.
- Combine sugar, water, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat without stirring.
- Once the color of the sugar starts to change around the edge, turn down the heat to medium.
- Gently swirl the pan around to incorporate the caramelized sugar until the color turns to dark amber.
- After all the sugar is incorporated, take the pan off the heat and quickly add in the butter, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir continuously until the mixture becomes glossy.
- Stir in the nuts quickly and pour the mixture onto the greased baking sheet. You don’t have to worry about spreading it out evenly. Just pour the mixture in the middle, swirl the baking sheet around, and the hot mixture will spread by itself.
- After the mixture spreads on its own, flatten the parts where the nuts are in huge clumps.
- Let the peanut brittle cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once the brittle is ready, crack the brittle to pieces. Store in an airtight container.
- Category: Candy