How to make marshmallows with egg whites and without using corn syrup. With this easy homemade marshmallow recipe, you’ll be putting smiles on your kid’s faces.
- 8 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
Other Kitchen things you will need:
- Heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Baking pan greased with vegetable shortening or coconut oil
- Pastry brush
- Candy thermometer
- Electric mixer
- To bloom the gelatin, sprinkle it into 8 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, mix the granulated sugar and the remaining water and heat over medium heat. Stir continuously.
- Once the sugar is fully dissolved, add in the maple syrup. Increase the heat until the sugar mixture starts simmering. Brush the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystallization.
- Allow it to boil until it reaches 240 °F (or 115 C) on the candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved and well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool a little bit. Stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming.
- Beat the warm mixture in the electric mixer until it becomes light and thick.
- Add in the vanilla and stir until well combined.
- On a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Pour the mixture onto the greased baking pan and allow it to sit for at least 6 hours.
- Mix the powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- Cut the marshmallows into desired shapes and dust all sides with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
There is a resting time of 6 hours after the cooking.