This delicious cheesy potato soup with shredded hash browns recipe is perfect comfort food on a cold day. You can shred fresh potatoes or ready-to-cook hash browns from the store.
- 1 stick butter ( 1/2 cup )
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup small chopped celery
- 1 Tbsp chunky garlic paste or minced garlic
- 32-ounce pack of cubed hash browns (partially thawed) or a 20-ounce pack of shredded hash browns
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 14.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup (alternatives include cream of mushroom and cream of potato)
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp parsley, paste, or freshly chopped
- 1 tsp each of kosher salt & garlic salt or to taste
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
For toppings, you can use real bacon bits, sour cream, and cheese.
For a healthier version, you can add a puree of your preferred veggies.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes until celery and onions are tender.
- Stir in the shredded hash browns. Continue cooking and carefully stirring for another 5 to 10 minutes or so. Make sure the shredded taters do not stick together.
- Next, stir in the milk, heavy cream, and cream of chicken soup. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic salt. Then, add in the sour cream. Adding some chopped parsley is optional.
- Stir, making sure the sour cream is thoroughly mixed in. Sprinkle in the shredded cheese and cook until it has melted.
- Continue cooking and stirring for another 15 – 20 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Serve in bowls and top with sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits, if you like.
- Prep Time: 5 Min
- Cook Time: 35 Min
- Category: Soup