Of all the comfort food recipes I have made in my kitchen, tasted, and served on my family’s dinner table, the chicken noodle soup is the most versatile and easily adaptable to any occasion or cooking style. I have made chicken noodle soup before using pasta and now I’m excited to try making a vegan chicken noodle soup with soy curls.
- 1.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, add more to taste
- 1 large spring fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 4 small gold potatoes, diced (around 10.5oz or 300g)
- 4 ounces (113g) dry rotini, gluten-free or regular
- 2 ounces (56g) dry soy curls
- 5 cups (1.2L) vegan chicken-flavored broth
- 4 cups (945mL) water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
Bring a large heavy bottomed pot to medium-high heat and add the oil.
Once warm, add in the diced onion with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, until translucent and slightly golden.
Add the celery and carrots then sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Finally, add the garlic, paprika, black pepper and thyme and sauté for about 1 minute.
Add the potatoes, dry pasta and dry soy curls to the pot followed by the imitation chicken broth and water. Mix well, then cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
Uncover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The soup is finished cooking once the pasta is cooked and the potatoes are fork-tender.
Turn the heat off, then stir in the parsley.
Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste, if necessary.
Serve warm for best results. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and the freezer for much longer!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American