Try this hearty chicken soup recipe that your family would love! It only takes 50 minutes tops to make and yields 4 servings. Add a quarter more of everything for a family of five.
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 1/3 cup orzo
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 split breasts), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 2.5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Sweat the carrots, celery and onions first before adding chicken stock and two cups of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables and orzo are tender. This may take about 10 minutes.
Toss the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a bowl. Then, add to the soup along with the peas.
Simmer until the chicken is cooked thoroughly, which will take 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring gently, until just wilted.
Take the pot off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American