- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate, melted
- A pinch of salt
- Fresh berries or grated chocolate for garnish (optional)
- Melt the Chocolate: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 20-second intervals, stirring after each interval until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip the Cream: In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat the Egg Whites: In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Combine: Gently fold the melted chocolate and vanilla extract into the whipped cream until well combined.
- Fold in Egg Whites: Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture in two additions, ensuring you maintain the airy texture.
- Chill: Pour the mousse into individual serving dishes and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh berries or grated chocolate before serving.
- Ensure your bowl and beaters are completely clean and free of any grease when beating the egg whites. This will ensure they reach their full volume.
- For a richer flavor, you can use dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate.
- Always fold gently to maintain the airy texture of the mousse.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: mousse with egg white recipe