This soup is a perfect prelude to a winter meal. The lentils thicken the soup and give it a meatier texture. The pancetta gives it a nice smoky flavor and the sweet potatoes give it a lovely color. It’s perfect for cold evenings or friendly get-togethers.
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 60g pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 cm pieces
- 750ml (3 cups) liquid chicken stock
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 250g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Parsley for garnish
Step 1: Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion, celery, pancetta and garlic until the onion and celery are soft. Add the sweet potato and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook for an additional minute or two and make sure all of the ingredients are mixed together.
Step 2: Add the rinsed and drained lentils, diced tomatoes and stock to the sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
Step 3: Let simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
Step 4: Add the broccoli florets (use as much as you like). Simmer 3-4 minutes or until broccoli is tender crisp. If you want the broccoli to be softer, simmer for longer.
Step 5: Serve with parsley as a garnish if you like.