Beef, veggies and barley come together as a delicious, simple and comforting soup.
- 500g lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 28oz undrained
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1/2 cup green peas (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 2/3 cup pot barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 cups beef broth
- Cook ground beef in large soup pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon and cook until all the ground beef has browned.
- Drain the beef fat.
- Remove the beef from pot and set aside.
- Using same pot, add olive oil and cook onions and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including the ground beef, to the pot containing the onions and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes with the lid on or until barley is cooked.
- Remove bay leaf.
Feel free to leave out any of the following: green pepper, green beans, peas, corn. Or replace with a similar vegetable that you like better.
The soup will thicken overnight. You may want to add a bit of broth or water to thin it out when reheating.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
Keywords: beef barley soup