This homemade caramel for coffee recipe will have you sweetening your coffee in no time. You and your guests will enjoy the rich caramel flavor this recipe will add to your lattes. You won’t have to go to Starbucks for your Caramel Macchiato anymore, you can make it (or something very similar to it) at home.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cups of water, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Combine the sugar and ¼ cup of water in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Stir the mixture over low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. NOTE: Ensure not to let the mixture boil until the sugar is dissolved completely in the water.
- After the sugar has been dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and cover the pot. Leave it to sit for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir continuously until the mixture turns light brown.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and add the remaining water. Stir until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla and salt as well. Stir again until well combined.
- Let cool before using and store in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes max