- 2.2 pounds (1kg) ground beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10.5 ounces (300g) mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups (1.4 liters) low sodium vegetable broth (you can substitute beef broth)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons better than bullion beef base
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- add salt and pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté.
- Put in the olive oil, ground beef and salt and pepper.
- Break the ground beef apart using a cooking spoon while cooking and sauté until all sides of the beef are browned. Take the beef out of the Instant Pot when browned.
- Add the mushrooms to the instant pot and sauté until browned. You may need more olive oil.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to the mushroom sauté. Sauté until the onions become translucent (a little bit see-through).
- Mix the garlic into the sauté at this point. Keep sautéing until you can smell the garlic (usually less than one minute).
- Add a little low sodium vegetable broth or a substitute and scrape the bottom of the pan if there is anything stuck to the bottom. If you don’t the Instant Pot may give you the “burn error”.
- Then add in the remaining broth, then the browned ground beef, then the tomatoes, barley, potatoes, beef base, bay leaf and thyme.
- Lock the lid onto the Instant Pot. Make sure the vent is set to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the 15 minutes are up, let the Instant Pot do a natural release of pressure for 15 minutes.
- Following that, turn the vent to release the remaining pressure before the removing lid.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes